Stories by Women’s Freedom Center
Issue of Feb 14, 2018 (#446)
- A gift for every body: Our stare-and-compare culture still extends from beauty pageants at one end to body shaming at the other. When is enough enough?
Issue of Jan 24, 2018 (#443)
- We can free the workplace from sexual harassment: Employers can play a huge role in helping to end harassment. But we all must go beyond laws or workplace policies and evolve cultural norms.
Issue of Dec 28, 2016 (#389)
- Code red: With such uncharted territory ahead, like many progressive groups and crisis centers, we too are sending up a flare
Issue of Jul 6, 2016 (#364)
- Trained for trauma: Sexual assault nurse examiners are trained in what evidence to collect — and in how to collect it with sensitivity to the victim’s trauma
Issue of May 18, 2016 (#357)
- Her colorful mission: As women and kids flee from abusive households, a children’s advocate attempts to create some normalcy and fun for a shelter’s youngest guests
Issue of Feb 17, 2016 (#344)
- Teen dating culture has shifted, but the hazards have not: One in three teens in the U.S. has experienced some form of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse from a partner
Issue of Jan 20, 2016 (#340)
- What’s in a name: Five years ago, we changed our name to the Women’s Freedom Center, a name that helps us pause again and re-examine what’s left to be done
Issue of Dec 2, 2015 (#334)
- Survivors help survivors: While its members and topics continually shift, ongoing themes over the years reveal women’s collective strengths — and symbolize the path from crisis to freedom
Issue of Sep 16, 2015 (#323)
- Life lessons: In today’s schools: slut-shaming, hurtful comments and bullying via social media, self-harm, and more. What can we do?
Issue of Aug 12, 2015 (#318)
- Pets get support in escaping domestic violence, too: Harm to animals is a strong indicator of escalated risk for humans
Issue of Sep 18, 2013 (#221)
- Avoiding a lethal betrayal: For some victims, escape just brings on a whole new order of fear