Stories by Dan DeWalt
Issue of Apr 17, 2019 (#506)
- Bin Laden’s strategy of disunity: We need to engage our neighbors in an empathetic and genuine way if we are to be able to figure out how to bridge the chasm that is now destroying our country
Issue of Feb 13, 2019 (#497)
- We have a choice: action or complicity: Every one of us is also guilty of the Trump administration’s criminal family separation policies, unless we are actively working to reverse them. And we can do just that, one ICE employee and elected official at a time.
Issue of Nov 21, 2018 (#486)
- Against our religion: We cannot participate in the Affordable Care Act, which discriminates against underprivileged people and allows corporations to make a profit by rationing health care
Issue of Oct 31, 2018 (#483)
- Boston: respect for elections and their integrity
Issue of Oct 17, 2018 (#481)
- The governor is wrong — and insults us in the bargain: Phil Scott repeatedly derided us for not having enough understanding to even know that we were raising our own taxes
Issue of Feb 14, 2018 (#446)
- The president we deserve: The roots of Donald Trump’s ascendence have been growing for our nation’s entire history. We could be brave enough to face our past and honestly discuss how to repair the damage, but can we handle the truth?
Issue of May 17, 2017 (#408)
- The same mistakes — again?: In a new book, an experienced journalist returns to see if U.S. interventionists have learned any lessons. Sadly, they have not.
Issue of Feb 1, 2017 (#393)
- Fix state’s formula for funding our schools: ‘We are not willing to reduce the learning opportunities available to our students in order to satisfy state-directed spending mandates that don’t take into account our particular circumstances.’
Issue of Dec 7, 2016 (#386)
- The U.S. has never been an honest broker with Native Americans
Issue of Nov 16, 2016 (#383)
- Time for the Democratic Party to start listening: The Democrats were able to push and drag Clinton across the line to win the nomination, but they would have been hard-pressed to find a weaker candidate. So what now?
Issue of Apr 6, 2016 (#351)
- State Treasurer Pearce, do the right thing: Plenty of teachers want their retirement money to be invested well and to grow in value. But no one saw how the oil and coal investments would even make sense.
Issue of Feb 17, 2016 (#344)
- This election: a battle for our country’s soul: Trump versus Sanders would let us participate in an election that has broken away from the numbing grip of the established political class
Issue of Dec 23, 2015 (#337)
- We’re fighting the enemy we created: The only way to beat the terrorists is to show by our actions, not just our words, that America is not only tolerant but welcoming to all. We have to show every day that what they say about us is a lie.
Issue of May 6, 2015 (#304)
- Unfair criticism of our early efforts on The Commons
Issue of Feb 25, 2015 (#294)
- Vote Kim Friedman for Newfane moderator
Issue of Feb 19, 2014 (#242)
- Putney shouldn’t allow AT&T dog and pony show
Issue of Sep 11, 2013 (#220)
- U.S. has no role to enforce moral authority
Issue of Sep 4, 2013 (#219)
- A matter of process: Farmer seeks answers about Land Trust’s selection, criteria for sale of Cassidy Farm
Issue of May 23, 2012 (#153)
- Our sacred duty: In the cheapening of Memorial Day the result of fraudulent rationales for war?
Issue of Mar 7, 2012 (#142)
- State’s VY approach is legitimate policy, not an ‘act of violence’
Issue of Feb 1, 2012 (#137)
- Vermonters: Take action against VY’s defiant operation