BRATTLEBORO—The winter chill is already upon us, and United Way of Windham County is again supporting families with warm winter outerwear through its Kids in Coats Fund, which was created after the Reformer Christmas Stocking ceased operations in the fall of 2015.
This year, the United Way of Windham County received applications for more than 670 children through nearly 40 referral sources, such as schools, health and human service organizations, and state offices. Due to limited funds, the organization was able to support only 437 children with vouchers for winter outerwear.
The KIC Fund is having a direct impact on local families. A past KIC voucher recipient said her experience with KIC was “Excellent. I was able to get boots, a hat, gloves, and a coat for my daughter.”
To donate to the Kids in Coats Fund:
• Visit www.unitedwaywindham.org
• Text the word “snowy” to 41444
• Mail a check to United Way of Windham County, P.O. Box 617, Brattleboro, VT 05302, with KIC in the memo line.
• Drop a donation off during business hours at the United Way office at 1 Holstein Place in Brattleboro.
As in years past, donor messages will be printed in the Brattleboro Reformer and posted on the UWWC website.
There are also events throughout the next two months to benefit the Fund:
• Through the remainder of November, people can bring their returnables to Putney Road Redemption Center and mention United Way/KIC — the top three nonprofits will receive a donation.
• On Giving Tuesday, Nov. 28, KIC has set a goal of 100 donations of $75 to help us help 100 kids.
• Join them at 99 Restaurant on Nov. 28 from 5 to 10:30 p.m., for a Dining for a Cause event; 15 percent of all guest checks will be donated to KIC (visit www.unitedwaywindham.org or the KIC Facebook page to download a flyer).
• Rotary Trivia Night on Dec. 11 at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion — Teams can be 4-6 players and you can bring friends or join a table once you arrive. All ages are welcome, but there is a cash bar. Admission is $20 and that includes dinner, fun, and a donation to KIC.
UWWC is proud to have 10 local stores accepting the KIC vouchers and seven of them are resale/thrift stores — we encourage the community to donate your gently worn children’s winter outwear — boots, coats, snowpants/snowsuits, hats, gloves/mittens, and scarves — to these stores so that they have plenty of inventory for families:
• Experienced Goods Thrift Shop (77 Flat St., Brattleboro)
• Love It Twice (464 Putney Rd., Brattleboro)
• Whippersnappers (896 Putney Rd., Brattleboro)
• SEVCA Good Buy Thrift Store (45 Rockingham St./Canal House, Bellows Falls)
• Second Chance Shoppe (126 Grafton Rd., Townshend)
• West Townshend Country Store Thrift Store (6573 Route 30, West Townshend)
• Twice Blessed (45 Route 100N, West Dover)
KIC also thanks Northeast Mountain Footwear, Label Shopper, and Sam’s Outdoor Outfitters in Brattleboro for partnering with UWWC to accept the KIC vouchers.