The Commons
Life and Work

Brattleboro Freemasons gear up for annual Haunted House

Originally published in The Commons issue #174 (Wednesday, October 17, 2012).


BRATTLEBORO—The Brattleboro Lodge of Freemason’s annual Haunted House will take place between 6 and 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday the last two weekends of October and be $5 a person. The proceeds will go to support Masonic programs. For parents who want to bring their small children to the haunted house, the lodge will hold a non-interactive tour of the haunted house between 6 and 7 p.m.

Also, as a part of this project, the Masons are encouraging the public to bring cell phones they no longer use to the lodge to be recycled.

How many cell phones do you have lying around in that old junk drawer? When you buy a new phone, do you throw yours out with the weekly trash? According to the EPA, the average consumer changes cell phones every 18 months. When they are disposed of, approximately 10 percent are recycled, leaving the remaining 90 percent to the landfills where they can leach toxins such as lead and mercury into the surrounding soil, water, and air.

After researching these facts for a college essay, Jeffery Anderson, a member of the Brattleboro Lodge, asked the lodge to join him in doing something about it.

Brattleboro Lodge will be asking members of the public to contact them at 802-254-4801 if they have old cell phones they would like to donate or be collected. These phones will be sent to a recycling firm and the Lodge will apply all proceeds to their scholarship fund.

For questions about the Haunted House, call 802-257-0464 or e-mail asfent@gmail.com.


What do you think? Leave us a comment

Editor’s note: Our terms of service require you to use your real names. We will remove anonymous or pseudonymous comments that come to our attention. We rely on our readers’ personal integrity to stand behind what they say; please do not write anything to someone that you wouldn’t say to his or her face without your needing to wear a ski mask while saying it. Thanks for doing your part to make your responses forceful, thoughtful, provocative, and civil. We also consider your comments for the letters column in the print newspaper.

Comments

No comments yet.

Add Comment

* Required information
(will not be published)
Is it true or false that green is a number?
 
Enter answer:
 
Notify me of new comments via email.
 
Remember my form details on this computer.
 
I have read and understand the privacy policy. *
 






News and Views

News

Voices

Arts

Life and Work

Milestones

Submit your news

Submit commentary

Support us

Become a member

Advertising

Print advertising

Web advertising

About us

Contact us