Stories by Dorothy Grover-Read
Issue of Dec 21, 2022 (#695)
- Side dishes that hold their own: You can make these favorites ahead of your holiday feast or pull them together in practically no time
Issue of Nov 23, 2022 (#691)
- Festive treats: From cranberry-orange bread to eggnog, some fresh twists on some time-honored favorites
Issue of Oct 5, 2022 (#684)
- One more story to tell: ‘This is exactly how Ray would want to leave us: with these memories lingering, with him still enjoying life and each day to its fullest, still active, smiling, planning ahead — that’s so important, the planning ahead — and embracing music of all sorts’
Issue of Nov 24, 2021 (#640)
- You might have to take a poll: The people who love pumpkin pie loved the traditional canned pumpkin pie best. The folks who don’t preferred the squash pie — not that it would be a first choice.
Issue of Oct 6, 2021 (#633)
- Use this warm fall’s last tomatoes: Tomatoes are a perfect accompaniment to shrimp and delicious served atop a lovey batch of polenta
- The world needs apple crisp right now: Who can resist the sight, the smell, the texture of the crispy top and the spicy, softened apples underneath?
Issue of Mar 31, 2021 (#606)
- We made it work as best we could: The pandemic has changed everything about our lives — the food we consumed and the way we celebrate with our families
Issue of Mar 3, 2021 (#602)
- Our spring ritual: Maple is a favorite and versatile as a sweetener for sweet and savory dishes and baked goods, and as a condiment, running down the sides of a hot stack of pancakes
Issue of Nov 25, 2020 (#589)
- A tighter, simpler holiday meal: This farro and wild rice salad is a perfect side dish that can easily slip into a baked squash to create a delicious vegetarian entrée
- And for dessert: Nantucket Cranberry Pie: This recipe uses only one bowl and one pan, and it requires no rolling of dough
Issue of Oct 7, 2020 (#582)
- Peppers in season offer a simple taste of fall: Roasted red pepper soup can be simple, hot, sweet, smoky, or creamy — the choice is yours
- And for dessert: apple galette: This rustic, free-form tart is not as easy as pie. It’s easier.
Issue of Mar 4, 2020 (#551)
- A traditional — and versatile — Irish dish: For St. Patrick’s Day, a batch of colcannon is peasant comfort food at its best. It can also serve as the ingredient of honor in other meals served any time of the day.
Issue of Feb 5, 2020 (#547)
- A retro meal gets a makeover: Crêpes can star in any meal or serve as dessert. And — gasp! — they can be made healthful.