GUILFORD—To allow for its rehabilitation project this summer, the Green River Bridge is closed to all pedestrian and vehicular traffic through Aug. 26, when town officials say the bridge will reopen to all traffic.
There are two suggested detour routes, and both have signs posted to direct drivers.
The Jacksonville Stage Road-to-Brattleboro route is an approximately 12-mile detour. The directions below are from information supplied by Guilford’s town website, guilfordvt.net.
• Follow (Jacksonville) Stage Road into Halifax.
• Turn right onto Old County Road.
• Turn right onto Deer Park Road.
• Turn right onto Green River Road.
• Green River Road turns into Hinesburg Road in Guilford, follow it to the stop sign.
• Turn right onto Greenleaf Street and follow it to the end, where it intersects with Route 9 (Marlboro Road) in West Brattleboro.
The town suggests this route as the reverse, from Brattleboro to Stage Road:
From Route 9 in Brattleboro turn onto Greenleaf Street (next to the 7-Eleven).
• Turn left onto Hinesburg Road.
• Hinesburg Road turns into Green River Road in Halifax.
• Turn left onto Deer Park Road.
• Turn left onto Old County Road and follow it to its intersection with (Jacksonville) Stage Road.
The River Road-to-Leyden, Massachusetts, route is an approximately 18-mile detour.
• Follow River Road to the Massachusetts state line; the road becomes North Green River Road, continue on it.
• Turn left onto Green River Road, heading northeast on West Leyden Road.
• Turn left onto Mid County Road.
• Turn left onto Greenfield Road.
• Take a slight right onto Brattleboro Road; this will turn into Weatherhead Hollow Road in Guilford.
• Follow Weatherhead Hollow Road to the end where it intersects with Guilford Center Road.
The reverse route, from Leyden to River Road, is as follows:
• From Guilford Center Road, turn onto Weatherhead Hollow Road.
• Follow Weatherhead Hollow Road and take a slight left onto Brattleboro Road.
• Turn right onto Greenfield Road.
• Turn right onto Mid County Road.
• Heading northwest on the West Leyden Road, turn right onto North Green River Road.
• North Green River Road turns into River Road at the Vermont state line.
For a map of the suggested routes, visit the “Green River Covered Bridge Project Updates” link at guilfordvt.net.