Not-for-Profit, Award-Winning Community News and Views for Windham County, Vermont • Since 2006

Burke defeats Salviani in House race

BRATTLEBORO—Incumbent state Rep. Mollie Burke won in a landslide against newcomer Adam Salviani in Tuesday’s voting.

Burke, a Progressive/Democrat, and Salviani, an independent, campaigned to represent Brattleboro’s second House district, also known as Windham 2-2.

According to the unofficial results on the Secretary of State’s election website, Burke earned 81.82 percent of the votes. Salviani took the remaining 18.18 percent.

Representative Burke was first elected to the House in 2009. She has served on the House Transportation Committee for eight years. She is also the co-chair of the Legislative Women’s Caucus, and an active member of the Legislative Climate Caucus.

In addition to her work in the Legislature, Burke is a skating teacher, art teacher, visual artist, and the executive director of Art in the Neighborhood, a nonprofit arts organization.

Burke grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. She studied political science at Marymount College and the London School of Economics. In 2007, Burke earned an MFA from Goddard College. The mother and grandmother has also served as a Representative Town Meeting Member since 1990.

The Windham 2-2 race represented Salviani’s first state campaign. A recent transplant to Brattleboro, Salviani chairs the Town Arts Committee. He is an author and small-business owner.

Controversy arose around Salviani after the Brattleboro Reformer printed an article in September outlining complaints from authors against Salviani and his publishing company, Raider Publishing International. Salviani told The Commons in a previous interview that he disputes the article. The Reformer, meanwhile, stands by the piece.

The candidates hadn’t responded to requests for comment by press time.

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!

We rely on the donations and financial support of our readers to help make The Commons available to all. Please join us today.

What do you think? Leave us a comment

Editor’s note: Our terms of service require you to use your real names. We will remove anonymous or pseudonymous comments that come to our attention. We rely on our readers’ personal integrity to stand behind what they say; please do not write anything to someone that you wouldn’t say to his or her face without your needing to wear a ski mask while saying it. Thanks for doing your part to make your responses forceful, thoughtful, provocative, and civil. We also consider your comments for the letters column in the print newspaper.

Add Comment

* Required information
Enter the third letter of the word castle.
Captcha Image
Powered by Commentics

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first!

Originally published in The Commons issue #382 (Wednesday, November 9, 2016). This story appeared on page A4.

Related stories

More by Olga Peters