TOWNSHEND—As the leaves change color, and the kids go back to school, September is a good time to consider making positive changes in one’s own life.
The following are current and upcoming free and low-cost wellness programs offered at Grace Cottage Hospital. All of the groups and classes listed below take place in the Grace Cottage Community Wellness Center, Heins Building, 133 Grafton Rd.
• Yoga: Gentle yet invigorating classes resumed Sept. 4 and will continue on Tuesdays, 4:30 to 6 p.m., and Fridays, 3:30 to 5 p.m. Also, chair yoga for beginners is offered on Wednesdays from 1 to 2 p.m. Instructor for all classes: Grace Cottage Director of Rehabilitation and Wellness Crystal Mansfield. Cost is $5 per class. Contact Mansfield at 802-365-3649.
• Tai Chi for Fall Prevention: Beginner classes run in 6-week cycles on Wednesdays and Fridays, 9 to 10 a.m. Classes are free; some restrictions may apply. To find out more or to reserve a spot in the next series, call 802-365-3649. Level 2 classes are available for Beginner class graduates on Tuesdays, 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. A 10-week Level 2 series led by Alicia Moyer has just begun. To inquire about Level 2 and 3 classes, contact Moyer at 365-4115, ext. 108.
• Strong Bones: Ongoing classes offered Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., or 5 to 6 p.m., plus Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:45 to 9:45 a.m. or 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Cost is $3 per class. Pre-registration required at 802-365-3649.
• Weight Loss Support Group: Starting Sept. 11, group will meet weekly, Tuesdays, 10:30 to noon. Instructor is Grace Cottage Health Coach Liz Harrison. Free. 802-365-3766.
• Mental Illness Family Support Group: second Tuesday of every month, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Facilitated by trained members of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Free. Call 713-591-2857 for more information.
• Alzheimer’s Caregiver Support Group: first Thursday of every month, 11 a.m. to noon. Led by Grace Cottage Community Health Team Member Claire Bemis and Alicia Moyer of SASH. Free. Call 802-365-3763 for details.
• Living Alone Support Group: third Wednesday of every month. 10:15 to 11:45 a.m. Facilitated by Alicia Moyer of SASH. Free. Call 802-365-4115, ext. 108.
Cancellation of a class or group may occur due to weather, illness, holidays, or occasional conflicts in schedule. To confirm that an event is happening, or for more information on any listing, visit www.gracecottage.org/calendar or call the number listed for each program.