Numerous sites around Windham County will be participating in the Summer Food Service program, which provides meals for eligible children 18 and under, free of charge.
Children who are part of the households that receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps, known as 3SquaresVT in Vermont) benefits, or benefits under the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF known as ReachUp in Vermont) are automatically eligible to receive free meals.
Meals will be provided at the sites and times as follows (all sites are closed on July 4):
• July 1 through Aug. 2, Monday through Friday at NewBrook Elementary School in Newfane as part of its Explorers Summer Camp. Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m. and lunch is served at noon. Some days there are field trips when campers have bagged lunches provided. See the schedule at windhamcentral.org on the summer camps page.
• July 1 through Aug. 9, Monday through Friday at Brattleboro Recreation and Parks Department’s Day Camp at Living Memorial Park. Breakfast will be served from 8:45 to 9:10 a.m., lunch is noon to 12:45 p.m.
• July 1 through Aug. 8, Monday through Thursday at Brattleboro Area Middle School, 109 Sunny Acres. Breakfast served 10:30 to 11 a.m., and lunch 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
• June 24 through Aug. 16, Monday through Friday at New England Youth Theatre, 100 Flat St., Brattleboro. Lunch will be served noon to 1 p.m.
• July 8 through Aug. 8, Monday through Thursday at Oak Grove School, 15 Moreland Ave., Brattleboro. Breakfast served 8:30 to 9 a.m., and lunch from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
There will also be several open sites in Brattleboro which will offer daily meals or children 18 and under. No registration or eligibility paperwork is required, and meals will be served on a first come, first served basis at the following sites and times:
• 22 Moore Court (community room), Monday through Friday, June 24 through Aug. 16; breakfast, 9 to 9:30 a.m., lunch, noon to 12:30 p.m.
• 50 Ledgewood Heights (community room), Monday through Friday, June 24 through to Aug. 17; breakfast, 9 to 9:30 a.m., lunch, noon to 12:30 p.m.
• Living Memorial Park (gazebo by the pool), Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, June 24 through Aug. 9 (closes in inclement weather); lunch, noon to 1 p.m.
• Brooks Memorial Library (community room), Monday through Friday, June 24 through Aug. 16; lunch, noon to 1 p.m.
• Retreat Farm, Route 30, Brattleboro, Monday through Friday, June 24 through Aug. 16; lunch, noon to 12:45 p.m.