BRATTLEBORO—The Planning Commission graded the applications for the Better Block Challenge based on a number of criteria.
The ideal proposals for the challenge would:
1. Create a welcoming, inclusive, and accessible space for all people.
2. Improve safety, routes, access for pedestrians and/or bicyclists.
3. Incorporate arts and cultural activities to enliven and revitalize public spaces.
4. Benefit the downtown business district and the economic viability of downtown businesses by attracting new customers, diversifying the population frequenting downtown shops and restaurants, enticing people to stay downtown longer, or providing goods and services currently not offered downtown.
5. “Green” downtown by incorporating streetscaping, landscaping, green stormwater practices (rain gardens, stormwater planters, etc), renewable energy or energy conservation measures.