Advocates urge Vermonters to claim federal Earned Income Tax Credit

This tax season, more people than ever before will qualify for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

People who worked during 2021 may qualify for a financial boost of up to $1,500 if they don't have children, or up to $6,700 if they do have children, by claiming the EITC. Vermonters making under $57,414 annually should see if they qualify.

Additionally, any family with children who receives the Vermont EITC is automatically income eligible for 3SquaresVT - meaning it may be easier to enroll in the program and get money every month to buy groceries.

According to Hunger Free Vermont, every year, one in five people miss out on thousands of dollars in savings and added benefits because they are unaware of EITC and its link to 3SquaresVT.

“There are many Vermont residents who are leaving this hard-earned credit behind,” Anore Horton, executive director of Hunger Free Vermont said in a news release. “This credit could give you more money in your refund and reduce any tax you owe.”

Horton said if you sign up for 3SquaresVT and you have children, the children automatically qualify for free school meals, (1)and help their school keep meals free for all students.

EITC is designed to help compensate working people while also providing economic stimulus to our state. If you have a Social Security number, you can get an income boost through the Earned Income Tax Credit when you file your taxes, even if you're not a U.S. citizen.

Horton said EITC and 3SquaresVT reduce economic insecurity and put food on the table for thousands of families and, in 2021, 37,000 Vermonters received an average EITC of $1,934.

“Call the IRS to see if you qualify for the EITC, even if you don't usually file taxes,” said Horton. “And apply for 3SquaresVT. If your family receives the EITC, you have also earned the additional benefits that come along with it.”

To claim the EITC, you will need to file a tax return by April 18, even if you aren't required to file this year. If it's your first time filing taxes or you need help filling out the form to claim your tax credit, there are free resources and IRS-certified volunteers who can help. Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or dial 2-1-1 to make an appointment with a tax assistance organization in your community.

You can also visit to have an IRS-certified volunteer file your taxes for free, or visit to file your own taxes for free online if you do not have self-employment income. To learn more about 3SquaresVT and the EITC, visit

Subscribe to the newsletter for weekly updates