Vermont utilities urge Vermonters to apply now for COVID-19 Utility Bill Assistance

Vermont utilities are reminding their customers that help is available for those struggling to pay existing and past bills. Vermonters financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for two grant programs for renters and homeowners to help with overdue utility bills.

Customers may be eligible for tens of thousands of dollars through these programs, and should apply now before money runs out:

• Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP) provides federal grant money for qualified renters to help pay their past due and ongoing utility bills and rent. Learn more and apply at or by calling 833-488-3727.

• Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program (VT HAP) provides federal grant money for qualified homeowners to help pay up to $30,000 of their past due utility bills, mortgage, and association fees. Learn more and apply at or by calling 833-221-4208.

Customers who have past due arrearages are encouraged to apply through VERAP or VT HAP, or contact their utility directly to set up a payment plan. Contact information is available for Green Mountain Power (GMP) customers at Customers of Jacksonville Electric Company can visit for utility contact information.

GMP also has ongoing Energy Assistance Programs (EAP) for qualified low-income customers. GMP customers with past due balances can apply through the Department for Children and Families at

Subscribe to the newsletter for weekly updates