BRATTLEBORO — Brattleboro Union High School is reporting two of its students were treated last week for drug overdoses in the building.
“We experienced two separate medical emergencies on campus involving the use of substances possibly laced with fentanyl,” interim Principal Cassie Damkoehler has emailed the families of 800 grade 9-12 students from the towns of Brattleboro, Dummerston, Guilford, Putney, and Vernon.
In both instances, the students were seen to be experiencing health problems and, as a result, received immediate medical care, the administrator said.
School officials are not reporting any identifying information about the two students but will say that each is no longer suffering effects.
In response, the school has emailed parents and guardians and held meetings with students and staff.
“I encourage families to have an open dialogue with their students,” Damkoehler wrote. “If you are not comfortable or do not know what to say, please reach out to the school for support.”
The school has not released any further information.
The email was also shared with the households of students at the adjacent Windham Regional Career Center, which serves the same communities.
“I cannot express how scary this is,” Career Center Director Nancy Wiese wrote in her own message. “Please take the time to discuss this with your student and to seek the answers to any questions you may have.”
Fentanyl is an opioid that can cause respiratory distress and, in some cases, death.
The Brattleboro Police Department is investigating both incidents.