Town and Village

Historic Guilford Meeting House reopens on June 1

GUILFORD-p>The Guilford Historical Society invites the public to attend the celebration reopening the 1837 Guilford Center Meeting House at 4042 Guilford Center Rd. (next door to the Guilford Free Library) on Saturday, June 1, from 1 to 3 p.m.

Parking is available at the library, Broad Brook Community Center, and along Carpenter Hill Road.

A short program will begin at 1:30 p.m. with an a cappella performance by the Guilford Chamber Singers. The program will be followed by light refreshments and a chance to ring the former (1)Universalist church's 400-pound cast-bronze bell, also dating to 1837.

In 1977, the Universalist Women's Auxiliary gifted the building to the Guilford Historical Society. The building has been the site of many important town events, including weddings, graduations, memorial services, and meetings. Additionally it's been the space for community performances, notably with concert pianist and Guilford resident Rudolf Serkin, founder of the Marlboro music festival.

The Meeting House has been closed since March 2020 due to water damage and the need to repair the roof and ceiling. The building earned a 1982 National Register of Historic Places designation and is owned and maintained by the Guilford Historical Society. Donations from the community and American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds from the town of Guilford made the renovation possible.

This Town and Village item was submitted to The Commons.

Subscribe to the newsletter for weekly updates