Fire department warns residents to dispose of wood ashes properly

BRATTLEBORO — In recent days, the Brattleboro Fire Department has responded to at least two fires that have been caused by the improper disposal of wood ashes.

With the start of the heating season, the use of wood stoves, fireplaces, and pellet stoves will be on the increase. The Brattleboro Fire Department would like to remind all residents that even though wood ashes may seem to be cooled, it is common that they retain enough heat to ignite other combustible materials for several days.

Residents are asked to review and follow these easy guidelines:

• Dispose of wood ashes in a metal container that can be tightly closed, douse with water, place the closed container outside your home away from combustible materials and leave in the container for several days before disposing of them.

• Do not dispose of ashes in paper, plastic or cardboard containers.

• Do not place hot ashes in a dumpster where there are certainly other combustible materials.

• Do not assume the ashes are cold and pour them onto the ground where the wind can stir up sparks.

Improper ash disposal is a serious threat to the safety of your families and homes. Following these simple rules can help to prevent a tragedy.

If you have questions about this information or any other fire safety questions, call the Brattleboro Fire Department at 802-254-4831 or your local fire department.

Subscribe to the newsletter for weekly updates